Cooking with Love

Friday, January 8, 2010

Shabbat Shalom with a Perfect Challah

Shabbat Shalom. Fridays are special. Slowly you can feel the unwinding of the people towards evening. If during the day everyone is husling and busling in order to get everything done on time - by afternoon everything gets quieter. And there is nothing more that symbolizes the jewish sabbath than a fresh challah. Some like it sweet, some with raisins, some with poppy, some with sesame seeds. There are round challas and braided, 3 braids, 4 braids and even six. I like my simplicity in my challa. 3 braids, no raisins. I save the sweeter challa for Rosh Hashana.


Every Friday in addition to the Sabbath Candles, I light a memorial candle, for those I love and are no longer with us - Ilan & Safta Rose. Both passed away in the past year. I miss them.

Sabbath Challa
2 Tbs. yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 Tbs. vegetable oil
1/2 cup honey
1 Tbs. sugar
4 eggs, slightly beaten
1 tsp. salt
6-7 cups flour

Knead all the ingredients until you get a nice soft dough.
Cover with a damp towel and let rise - approx. an hour to an hour and a half.
Knead once more to let out the air.
Make six ropes (for two challas) and braid 3 for each challah.



Brush with egg was and sprinkle with your choice of poppy seeds or sesame seeds.
Cover once again and let rise for approx. 30 minutes,
Preheat oven to medium heat (170C) and bake for 25-35 minutes - till golden.


Shabbat Shalom, my friends.
שבת שלום


3 comments:

Arlette said...

Oh Dorit ..
this is a perfect Challah
God bless their soul

prettybaker said...

Thanks sweetie! Hoped you had a good holiday season!

Paz said...

Your challah looks perfect! I enjoy making challah but I need a lot of practice. I think this year, I'll make more. ;-)

May your loved ones continue to rest in peace.

Paz