Cooking with Love

Friday, December 4, 2009

Caramel Apples...Is the Circus in town??

As a kid, my grandparents, especially my grandfather, would take us each year to the circus. Barnum and Bailey.  After the first time we kind of understood the concept and foubd it pretty boring. Millions of people, silly clowns that were never really up to our standards and kids that fly from cannon balls. We just didn't buy it. But we knew that my grandfather adored the circus. We were just an excuse for going. Today, I really miss it. I have taken my kids on occasion to circuses but they are never the same. I miss the innocence of the silly clown, the poodles running around and the elephants! Yes. I miss real elephants.
And I miss the caramel apples. No body seems to make them like they do at the circus.
So surfing the net I found a recipe I can handle....They are great.
The caramel has a taste that you certanly cannot purchase anywhere. Completely addicting. They are easy, and they dont break your teeth when trying to take a bite.This is for you Dobby, I hope you are smiling. I hope the circus comes to visit you in heaven.


:
 8 TBS. butter
2 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1 pinch salt
1 can (14 oz.) sweetene condensed milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
10-12 small Granny Smith apples
popsicle or lolipop sticks

Directions:
Melt the butter over medium heat in a medium, heavy bottomed saucepan. Mix in the brown sugar, corn syrup and salt. Cool the mixture, stirring occasionally, until it comes to a boil. Stir in the condensed milk. Cook and stir until a candy or instant read thermometer reads 248 F (firm ball stage) Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
Insert a lolipop stick in each apple so that it is firmly in place. Dip the apples one at a time into the caramel mixture, turning slowly to coat evenly. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with wax paper and allow to set. Decorate as desired.




 

4 comments:

Paz said...

Your caramel apples look delish! Yes, you're right about the certain innocence/certain something missing at the circus today.

Paz

prettybaker said...

Thanks sweetie!! I'm waiting for your monday pic :-)
Can I expect snow?

prettybaker said...

Thanks sweetie!! I'm waiting for your monday pic :-)
Can I expect snow?

Milton said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.