Cooking with Love

Friday, November 6, 2009

A very Expensive Pizza...or How my Kitchenaid Died..:-(

The sounds of Silence....RIP Kitchenaid


A Happy Recipe with a Sad Ending....

My Kids Love Pizza. Their friends love pizza. The neighbors love pizza. My family loves pizza. Hey, even I crave pizza on many occasions. Every saturday I make enough pizza dough and keep it in the fridge. This way whenever uninvited teenagers (well - I NEVER invite them) drop over after school I just take it out and in 30 minutes its pretty ready to go into the oven. Everyone is happy and nobody, God forbids, leaves my territory hungry. Happy? Yep. Happy.
A few weeks ago I found a recipe that called for 30 minutes of kneading. Sounded intresting. Big mistake. Huge mistake. After 10 minutes I hear my belove Kitchenaid breathing its last breaths. I thought of mouth to mouth (not a good idea if you don't want to get electrified), I thought of CPR...don't know how. I even thought of 911...But by the time I had thought of all my options...it cranked crackled and popped. RIP my beloved Red Kitchenaid. You were so faithful for the past 10 tears.
A minute of silence....

So....the recipe (exept the stupid 30 minutes kneading, why, oh why does wisdom come late) is a very good recipe for those that like a thin crust pizza. Here - as long as it is pizza - nobiody really cares if the crust is thin, thick or in the middle). Use the recipe wisely and DO NOT knead 30 minutes. 10 minutes is sufficient!
Deadly Pizza
1 pound flour ( I used bread flour)
1 1/4 cups tap water
1 TBS. yeast
2 TBS Olive oil
1 tsp. salt

Mix together and knead 10 minutes. If using a bread machine - I guess 30 minutes is just fine.
Cover with damp towel and let rise (about an hour).
Knead again and divide into 3-4 balls.
Put each ball in a large ziplock bag and place in the fridge for at least 6 hours. The dough can hold up till 5 days.
Before using let the dough come to room temp.

Heat oven to high and roll out the dough. This time I rolled out mine into a rectangle. I swear - it tastes the same as when it is round ;-)
I used my homeade pizza sauce:
2 Tbs. tomato paste
1 small tomato
1-2 garlic cloves
3 TBS. Olice oil
Salt, Pepper and oregano
A dash of sugar
Put all ingredients in a food processor and process.

Cover with cheese and whatecer toppings your heart desires (or in my case - whatever was on hand).

Bake for 15 minutes.

Isn't the crust beautiful?? I love those "holes".

3 comments:

Summer said...

I am sorry about your kitchenaid...i hope you can replace it soon.
I never use any machine to knead dough..i use God's given tools...my hands and the dough comes out great...try it sometimes, your hands will never fail you
:)
the photos look great of your pizza.

prettybaker said...

Thanks!Makes us wonder how our grandmothers made perfect cakes without the kitchen gadgets...and they came out better than any bakery...I guess we got spoiled over the years.

SOUSOUKITCHEN said...

hahaha, to call 911.
Sorry for you, they are really expensive but they make life easy, I am happy with mine , thanks God, she is still "healthy".
Nice pictures.