Cooking with Love

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Homemade goodness...So easy

I can't beleive how easy it is to make Pita bread at home. No special utensils. No special ovens. No more running to the bakery or supermarket. From now on - I make my own. I just wish I could let you smell the awesome scent of fresh baked bread. Heaven.
Here in Israel, Pita, is part of the culture. It is eaten with Falafel. With Hummus. With Shawarma. Its what a atortilla is to the Mexicans. Calzone to the Italians. And it is so unbelivably doable.
I also made my own Labane - which is a missdle eastern type cheese - also - so easy.


A typical dinner or breakfast. All homemade with love.

Group Pita Picture :-)

I love this pocket.

Pita Bread:
1 1/4 cup warm water
2 1/4 tsp. yeast
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 TBS. Olive oil
3 1/2 - 4 cups flour

On low speed mix the all ingredients until incorporated. If the dough is too sticky add a bit more flour.
Turn the dough onto a slightly floured surface and knead till sof and flexible. return to bowl and cover with a kutchen towel. Let stand about an hour till double in size.
Give it a good "box" and let out the air (I love this part).
Preheat oven to the highest heat.
Knead till all air is out and the dough is soft.
Divide into approx. 10 balls.
Roll each ball into a circle, approx. 1/2 cm thick.
Place on parchment paper and bake for approx 5-7 minutes. Pita should blow up like a ballon - this is the air pocket we love so much.
Cool (if you can - they are way to tempting not to eat).
Keep warm in a clean kitchen towel.



Labane
1 liter yoghurt (cow or goat - I prefer cows milk)
1 cup sour cream
1 TBS. salt
Cheese cloth
Sieve

Place the ingredients in the cloth and tie over the sink. Let the liquids strain through - approx. 8 hours. Put the cloth in a sieve over a bowl and refrigerate for another 8-12 hours.
Roll into small size balls and place in a jar. Cover with olive oil (I add some xanola as olive oil tends to thicken in the refrigerator).
When serving sprinkle with Za'atar or nigela seeds.

2 comments:

SOUSOUKITCHEN said...

Yummy yummy, I love it.
I have a small award for you, check it out in my "home".Kiss

prettybaker said...

Thanks so much Sabah!! That is so sweet of you!! Have a great weekend