Cooking with Love

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Eggplant - not one of my favorite Veggies - but...




No secret... I am not keen on eggplant. Never was. never will be. BUT....I do love the smell of an eggplant roasting over an open fire. The aroma is something that you cannot ignore. In a good way, not like Guava's for instance (I love the fruit I dislike their scent).
Eggplant is very common both in the mediteranean cuisine and also of the polish jews (well, at least my grandmother used to make it so very often - too often for me). My grandmother used to try to con me into eating it. She succeeded once and it took me 40 years to agree to try it again. And luckily - it was in a Rumanian restaurant, and I loved it. But only this salad. I will never try eggplant in any other way and will never try anything that I suspect may have it in it.
Sorry all eggplant lovers - and I know you are many.

Rumanian Eggplant Salad / Dip

2 medium eggplants
1 jar of roasted red peppers, with the marinade (approx. 500 grams)
1/4 cup vinegar
3-4 garlic
2Tbsp. sugar
salt & pepper


Over an open heat (if you have a bbq ready even better) place the eggplant. If using the stove - cover with aluminum foil, the "charring" is messy. You can also use the broiler - but the charring efect isn't as great. Turn occasionally. The eggplant is ready when it is charred on all sides and its juices start oozing out. Put aside and let cool.
In a food processor process the peppers with the marinade and the garlic till smooth.
Put in a bowl and add the "meat" of the eggplant to the processor and process till chunky.Add to the bowl. Add the sugar and vinegar, salt and pepper. Taste and add more vinegar if necessary.
Cover and serve cold.
Keeps for over a week





Charred meat of eggplant

This is the consistency

7 comments:

SOUSOUKITCHEN said...

Hey how are you ?
hope you are doing good.
You dish looks delicious,thanks for sharing it with us.

prettybaker said...

XOXO - I'm good - How are you?
I have so many more recipes to put up. Its easier going to the kitchen now that its not sweltering hot!

Arlette said...

Hello Dorit

this is a very healthy dish, and I enjoy eggplant any way its prepared, back home we use this purple veggies in many different ways.
thanks for sharing..

I am going to send you the invitation today... my apology for being late in replying.

Arlette said...

Hey again,
from your picture it looks more as a dip and not a salad, can you please clarify ??

prettybaker said...

LOL - ur correct - but in Israel we call it a salad...wonder why? I will correct it - THX!

Paz said...

I never liked eggplants until I started learning how to cook. Now I love it. Love your recipe, too.

Hugs from NY,
Paz

prettybaker said...

Thanks Paz!!