Cooking with Love

Sunday, August 17, 2008

A is for Apple....Pie

And there is nothing more american to me than Apple Pie!! And today is my Michael Phelps day!! Boy was I excited. And boy was I exstatic when the "boys" won!! And even more so when the most anticipated 8th Gold Medal was won by Phelps. GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PHELPS!! As I blogged last week - I took a day off and visited the upper Galilee where I received a large amount of wonderful apples by a farmer we met on the road.
Since Granny Smith is not our favorite eating apple - something american had to be done..And as mentioned above - nothing more american than apple pie (well and hamburgers I guess).

Beautiful Granny Smith Apples


A slice of apple pie

This recipe was posted on one of the Israeli forums by a very talented lady named Amira. I did make some minor changes...
Apple Pie - adapted from Amira's recipe
Pie Crust:
2 cups all puprose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
4 Tbs. sugar
pinch salt
150 grams cold butter, cut into small pieces
4-6 Tbs. ice cold water
Process in a food processor and add the water 1 TBS at a time until a ball is formed. DO NOT OVER PROCESS.
Divide into 2 discs and wrap in nylon. Refrigerate at least an hour.
Filling:
5 Granny smithe apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
1 cup fresh tart cherries
1 TBS fresh lemon juice
3/4 cup sugar
1 TBS all purpose flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
25 grams butter, small pieces
1/2 cup cookie crumbs or bread crumbs
Mix together all ingredients except the butter.
Assembly:
Remove one pie crust disc and roll out to fit 9" pie pan.
Sprinkle bread/cookie crumbs over dough.
Cover with the filling and sprinkle butter over the filling.
Roll out second pie disc and cover. I have these little heart shaped cookie cutters which I used to make my decoration....
Bake about 45 minutes at 180 C.
Serve warm
Isn't the decoration cute?

No comments: