Cooking with Love

Monday, August 4, 2008

The Fruits of Summer

The summer is definately my favorite season. Even though it gets terribly hot and humid there is nothing I dislike about it. So many fruits and vegetables. I wish summer would never end.
Two years ago I advised my favorite friend in the world to grow passion fruit in his garden. Since then I am forever thankful as I recive those wonderful wrinkly fruits on an almost daily basis. I take out the pulp and either eat it then and there or I just freeze it.
Today I decided that something must be done. I must bake a passion fruit cake....So I did...:-)

I also have a large bag of pitted cherries that I really had no idea what to do with. So I threw them in too....
The outcome was almost a perfect cake. Why almost?? The cherries kind of sunk to the bottom and ruined the look of the cake in my opinion....
But the taste - is perfection. And I only messed up one bowl and a whisk!!
My Passion Fruit Cherry Cake

2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
5-6 passion fruit, pulp only
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 - 2 cups pitted cherries

Just mix all the ingredients except the cherries till incorporated. Stir in the cherries.
Oil and flour an english cake pan.
Bake at 160C for about 35 minutes.

No comments: