Cooking with Love

Friday, August 1, 2008

A Bountyful of Coconut


For all coconut lovers "Bounty" chocolate bar is by no means a stranger. I admit, I am not a big fan of coconut. Its not that I dislike it - but I would rather go with the Snockres community of the world.

Picture taken from chocoblog

Open Bounty bar/ chocoblog


But my daughter is a fan. This summer vacation she has been very busy at various scouts activities. I hardly see her. This week she was off to camp. Tomorrow she will receive her counsler badge. And I am proud of her.

So...Knowing how much she love bounty bars, and eyeing this resipe by a very creative and talented forum friend "sjarjer" (pronounced garger") I sent myself to the local market to purchase coconut milk - a condiment I never hold at home and to be honest - never even used.
The recipe is quite easy. Not messy and only one pan was needed (and washed twice). And to be honest....after tasting one, I think I will move myself from the snickers camp to the bounty camp.

Sjarjer's Bounty Squares
Coconut Filling:
1 cup sugar
pinch of salt
1/3 cup water
1/3 tsp. vanilla
1 can coconut milk
20-250 gr. dessicated coconut
Ganache
250 ml. cream
300 grams bittersweet chocolate
1 tsp. coffee granules
In a medium pan - bring water, salt and sugar to boil. Continue boiling till the mixture thickens but does not turn golden (about 15 minutes). Meanwhile warm the coconut milk and add to the sugar mixture with the vanilla. Continue boiling till mixture thickens again. Add the coconut and mix, approx. 7 minutes, till the coconut seems dry.
Pour into a 9x13 pan. Cool at room temperature overnight. Then freeze for at least 2 hours.
In a medium pan melt chocolate and coffee with the cream until incorporated. Pour over frozen coconut. Keep refrigerated.

2 comments:

CAL design NZ said...

Great Recipe, Just wondering what weight the can of coconut milk is, I have a 400 gram can.

Halla said...

One of my favorite candies but with dark chocolate! Always wondered what I can use coconut milk with, this puts it to good use but I think will save this recipe for Christmas baking, the temptation to eat it all will be too much if I don't share it! Yum