Cooking with Love

Friday, August 8, 2008

Baking Flatbread on Stones

The Moroccan flatbread is baked on stones. I really loved the idea and have been planning quite a while to bake this way. I gathered stones, about egg size but kept forgetting them in the car. Then when I did remember I was too lazy since they were pretty heavy (3rd floor - no elevator).
So Finally I did. I washed them really really good. dried them and placed them in the pan.
Something about the stones give the bread a neat texture.

The recipe is called "Faran" or some call it "Farina: (I guess it depends on the moroccan area you are from). I think I should have baked it a bit longer to get a deeper color of brown - but the kids ate it way before it cooled down.
I will probably try it again tonight as it is really easy...



Faran - Moroccan Flat bread
500 grams bread flour
1 to 1 1/2 cups warm water
1 Tbs. rapid yeast
1/2 Tbs salt
1/2 Tbs. sugar
Mix all the dry ingredients together. Add the water and knead till you have a soft flexible dough. Shape into a ball and cover. Let rise till double in bulk.
I have a bread machine so I just let it do all the work - but I never bake with the machine. I hate the texture.
Punch the dough an knead again.
Flatten on a well floured surface and let rise for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven with the pan and stones at maximum temp. - approx. 250C for 30 minutes.
Place bread on the stones and bake for 15-20 minutes.
Let cool.

No comments: