Cooking with Love

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Tunisian Salsa - Mashweeya

I love spicy food. I wonder sometimes how I haven't burned a hole yet in my abdomen....or maybe I have and I don't know yet...:-)
Sometimes I wish I was born to another food culture, something that has more "heat" than the polish foods of my ancestors which I find totally not to my liking....
My granmothers world famous gefilte fish with the jellied whatever surrounding it can make me faint - I go straight for the horseradish, I hog it down with a spoon. The smell of chopped liver makes me wonder why anyone would even want to get near it, not to mention the fact that almost any dish requires sugar....But, I do know that I am a total minority...
Just let me have my jalapno's and I will be happy.

This is a wonderful salsa, originating in Tunis. Its easy to prepare and you can make it as spicy as you like. Eat it on bread, with cheese, on grilled veggies and whatever you like.
As you have probably guessed - I just spoon it down.

Salat Mashweeya
2 green peppers
1 tomato
1 green hot pepper (or more)
3-4 garlic cloves
salt
caraway seeds

Heat oven to medium high.
Grill the tomato, peppers and hot pepper until chafed. The best way to peel peppers is to let them cool in a bag.
Place all ingredients including the seeds in a food processor. Pulse until salsa is course. Taste and add salt if necessary.

Serve warm or cold.




No comments: