Cooking with Love

Sunday, June 8, 2008

Healthy, Wholesome Addicting Crackers

As usual, I am always looking for something that is both tasty and wholesome. Sure - it's easy to go into the supermarket, walk through the health aisle and purchase what seems to be healthy....But I am not always sure that it is 100% healthy. I do know what goes in my foods at home.
This recipe is delicious. It has everything that in my eyes are wholesome, so I know what goes into our bodies.
These are great as a snack. Great with cheese on them and even break them up and put them in soup.
I found them on the net, they are a recipe from a very talented baker called Smadar Walter, who is famous for her breads.
Try them - but do be careful. They are addicting...

Smadars Addicting Wholesome Crackers
1 cup wholewheat flour (130 gr)
1/2 cup natural sunflower seeds (80 gr)
1/3 cup sesame seed (50 gr)
1 Tbs. flax seeds
1/3 cup small bulghur (70 gr)
1/2 cup bran (40 gr)
1 tsp. salt
1 cup water
1 Tbs oil (I use olive oil)
Mix together all the dry ingredients.
Add water and oil and let stand for 30 minutes. Mixture will be sticky.
Divide into two.
I advise rolling on slipat as thinly as possble.
Cut into squares and bake at 175 C for approx. 20 minutes. Keep your eyes open as they burn quickly.
Please check out Tammy's Tuesday kitchen tips http://www.tammysrecipes.com/node/2790
for great tips. You will love her site! I do!

3 comments:

April said...

I have been looking for a good cracker recipe to feed the kids. This looks terrific! Thanks!

prettybaker said...

I'm so glad - and they really are good!

suzof7 said...

That looks like a great recipe - thanks for sharing! I've been so disheartened by all the trans fats in everyday foods, ugh!