Cooking with Love

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Energy Bars

Lately I have turned very health conscious. I am not doing it fanatically but I am trying to keep the house clear of junk food etc. Its not always easy with teens around but I am starting to notice that they are even preferring the brown rice to the regular. If I buy healthy nutritious cereal they will eat that and leave the sweetened choclatey cereal untouched.

So I started looking for a healthy snack that can also be taken to work. Most granola bars I have made in the past didn't knock anyone off their feet. So I took a few recipes together and made my own mish-mash energy bars...
These are my energy bars that are a favorite. I usualy keep them in a closed tupperware and the kids take them to snack on at school.
2 cups oats (not instant) - I use organic
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup wheat germ
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cups dried fruit (I used what I had on hand - apricots, light and dark raisins, dates and prunes)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil (I used canola)
1 egg, beaten
2 tsp. vanilla (I make my own)
1/2 cup honey or "silan" (date honey)
Mix together all the dry ingredients, by hand - make sure to "crumble" the dried fruit as they tend to stick together.
Add the oil, egg, vanilla and honey. Mix - by hand - till the mixture is moist.
Put the mixture in a medium pan - lined with parchement paper. Press mixture flat.
In a preheated oven - 180C - bake till golden approx. 20-25 minutes.
Cool slightly and then cut squares. Cool completely and store in airtight container.

1 comment:

linda said...

They look delicious. Long time ago I made some granola bars. I just remember they were very tasty but not as healthy as yours though. Mine contained butter.
Have to look up the recipe some day...