Cooking with Love

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

The Raid Begins....

And so it begins....the raid of the pantry - or as Allen from Eating Out Load calls it - the Food Fight.
http://www.eatingoutloud.com/2007/04/pantry-raid-results-april-3-2007.html
My pantry is rarely empty, but on occasion I do find that strange product I just had to have...but never really needed...LOL
Kind of like last weeks oreo cookies. But in my quest to raid the pantry - I came upon 2 boxes of turkish delight my sister brought from her recent trip to Turkey. Mind you - I asked her to bring me a box. Not that I really care for turkish delight, I usualy fear my teeth will get lost in that sticky sugary colorful glue.But - back to the raid...these are the main guidelines. This will probably be my first entry as I have found some more funky things in my pantry that I would like to use and not throw out, so if any of you readers have any wild udeas to make with a bag of couscous (I dislike couscous) and 2 tins of condensed milk (why I purchased them is beyond me....) I would love to know...
These are the food fight guidlines as posted by Allen:
All you need to do is pick a random day before the deadline (preferably not after you’ve just completed a shopping trip), begin by taking a picture of your pantry … then prepare a dish with several key ingredients from the pantry. Not only will you be sharing a culinary creation, you’ll be sharing all sorts of pantry ideas (i.e ooooh, so that’s how she organized her cupboard).

And this is my recipe
Turkish Delight Cookies / adapted from Miki Shemo
240 grams butter
200 ml sour cream
4 egg yolks
400 grams (3 cups) all purpose flour
5 grams baking powder
dash of vanilla sugar (I used pure vanilla)
1 Tbs. sugar
approx. 550 grams turkish delight, cut inti 1 cm cubes

powdered sugar for garnish

Begin the night before. Mix together the butter, sour cream and yolks.
In a seperate bowl combine the flour, baking powder, vanilla (whish I added to the butter mixture since I used regular vanilla) and sugar.
Add to butter mixter and combine till completely incorporated.
Roll intio a ball and wrap. Put overnight on the fridge.

Next day:
Preheat oven to 170C.
Flour a working sirface and roll dough (you can divide into easy to manage pieces) into approx. 3mm thick. Slice triangles (Iused my pizza slicer) and place a piece of turkish delight on the wide edge. Roll like rugelach. And place on lined cookie sheet.
Bake for 20 minutes until golden.
Cool slightly and sprinkle with powdered sugar while cookies are still warm.

I brought them to work this morning and put them by the coffee machine.

No comments: