Cooking with Love

Sunday, February 10, 2008

AFAM - Pomegranate - the Fruit with the Crown


Maheswari frim http://publishtoday.blogspot.com/ began A Fruit A Month blogging event. This month the host is SRA from http://whenmysoupcamealive.blogspot.com/ who chose pomegranate as this months fruit.

In Judiasm the Poemgranate is one of the seven fruits and barleys that Israel was blessed with. In the bible, the spies that Moses sent into Canaan returned with grapes, pomegranates and figs - thus emphasizing the riches of the country. Pomegranates are a symbol of the upcoming spring.
During the Jewish new year feast it is customary to eat the pomegranate as a symbol since the pomegranate is so rich in seeds.
The pomegranate is a long lasting fruit. It can be picked in season and kept in the regrigerator for a very long time - the fruit only gets sweeter and redder.

This is my recipe using both the juice and the seeds - which are so ruby like.
Chicken with pomegranate and wine
2-3 chicken thighs
1q4 cup olive oil
3-4 minced garlic cloves
1/4 cup white wine
salt and pepper
juice from 1 large pomegranate
pomegranate seeds for garnish
Preheat oven to high.
Place chicken thighs in pan (I used small pyrex).
Mix together olive oil, garlic, salt & pepper.
Cook in oven for 15 minutes. Meanwhile mix together the wine and pomegranate juice. Pour over chicken and cook for another 20-25 minutes until chicken is brown and crisp.
Garnish with ruby pomegranate seeds.

6 comments:

sra said...

Hello Pretty Baker, thanks for the entry. It's really unusual and I enjoyed reading about the significance it holds for Judaism. I didn't observe that it gets sweeter and redder in the refrigerator, that's my next experiment!

prettybaker said...

Hi sra!
Thanks to you - I love the chouce of your fruit. I new that pomegranates have a verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry long lofe when refregeriated - i just didn't know that they even improve. Mine were in the refrigerator for over 4 months I think.

Tracy said...

best home teeth whitener
I love pomegranate I just have never cooked with it before for some reason. This recipe looks really good with the chicken. My daughter and I will give this one a try.

Paz said...

I love your recipe. I'm going to have to look for pomegranates to make this dish. Yum!

Paz

prettybaker said...

Thank you Tracy - Let me know how it comes out!
Thanks Paz - this is really the fisrt time I actually cooked chicken with pomeggranate juice. If you can't find fresh - then used bottled. But when you do find fresh pomegranate - keep it in the frudge, it holds for almost a decade!

Julie said...

That looks delicious, I look forward to making this recipe.