Cooking with Love

Monday, December 31, 2007

My Holiday Cookie

I do love the christmas season even if we don't celebrate it. But Haifa is known for its co-existance, something that is quite rare here in the middle east. But Haifa is different we have jews, christians and muslims (even bahai) all living in harmony. We live together, learn from one another and enjoy this special friendship.
These cookies are made with raisins but, I decided to take them a step further and made them with dried strawberries (I think cranberrys will work great too).
The recipe came originally from a friend but I know I have spotted the recipe online, I just don't remember where).

Pistachio Dried Strawberry Icebox Cookies
Ingredients:
1.5 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
150 grams butter at room temp
1/4 cup + 2 TBS sugar
1/2 tsp grated orange peel
1/2 cup raw shelled pistachios
1/3 cup chopped dried strawberries (or cranberries)

Coating:
1 egg
1/4 cup brown sugar

In a mixer on medium speed mix together all ingredients until a ball forms.
Roll into two "logs" and refrigerate, covered in saran wrap, for at least 2 hours.
Brush with egg and coat with brown sugar.

Cut with sharp knife and place on sheet lined with parchment paper.
Bake 15 to 18 minutes at 180 C till golden.

2 comments:

Paz said...

Oh, I love your holiday cookie! I'm going to have to put it on my list of recipes to prepare.

I'm glad to read that everyone is able to live together peaceably in Haifa. Absolutely wonderful!

Sending you a big hug from NYC,
Paz

prettybaker said...

Thanks Paz!!
You would love Haifa! So much to see!
Hope your holiday is great!
Big hug back,
Dorit