Cooking with Love

Monday, December 10, 2007

Bloody Mary Soup


Yes. No mistake.....Its a soup.
Look - doesn' this look like soup. And No. I am not drunk. Well - maybe a bit tipsy...:-)

But not because of the soup....because I love gin..LOL

As a child my parents travelled abroad quite a lot. An as children often do - we always awaited their return. Not because we were such unusual children but mostly because they returned with wonderful gifts - a kimono from Japan, Benetton sweaters from Italy, chocolate from switzerland and so on.....The one year they went skiing they returned with the most wonderful recipe for an unusual soup. Bloody Mary Soup.

I assume that over the years I have changed the recipe as it was written on a piece of paper, in french. I do not speak or understand french so I pretty much went with my instincts.

1 onion, chopped
2 leeks, washed thoroughly and thinly sliced
4-5 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
1 liter tomato juice
2-3 TBS olive oil
800 grams canned crushed tomatoes
1 liter water
1/2 liter half & half
1-2 cups gin
salt & pepper

Saute the onion and leeks in olive oil until tender. Add the carrots and saute a few minutes. Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato juice and water. Cook over medium heat approx. 30 minutes until the carrots are tender. Add salt and pepper. A few minutes before serving add the half & half. Continue cooking 5 minutes. Add the gin. Stir and serve.

3 comments:

Olivia Kroth said...

Quite an unusual soup - with gin - never heard of that.
I suppose it would taste good also without the gin?

prettybaker said...

If you cook it with the gin a bit longer than the alcohol pretty much evaporates. So you are left with a special taste without the alcohol. Without the gin its just tomato soup I guess.

Olivia Kroth said...

Shalom, Dorit,
it is almost seven a.m. over here. I got up early to check your blog before driving to work.

Have a good Tuesday,
Olivia