For over a year, ever since I purchased my waffle machine I have been on a quest in search of the perfect waffle recipe from scratch. I have made them from Aunt Jemima's mix which is wonderful, but it is so much more fun when it is from scratch.
This is todays recipe which is quite good. Very crispy outside tender inside.
Belgian Waffle (Gaufre) / Duram Gunt
500 grams all purpose flour
2/3 cups mikl
1 tsp. vanilla
2 TBS sugar
1 TBS. fast acting yeast
200 grams soft butter
3/4 cup sugar crystals (or broken sugar cubes)
1. Mix all ingredients except the butter and sugar till dough forms.
2. In a large bowl knead the dough 4-5 minutes. Dough will seem dry - do not be tempted to add fluids. Form a ball and cover with a towel. Put aside a fermebt until doubles in size.
3. Add the butter to the dough until completely incorporated. It may take a few minutes of kneading.
4. Add the sugar crystals and knead until the dough is soft.
5. Form 8 balls and set aside on tray. Cover for 15 minutes.
6. Meanwhile heat the waffle machine. Place the ball in the machine and cook till golden brown, approx 2-3 minutes.
Can be frozen and reheated.
with dulce de leche