Cooking with Love

Friday, November 16, 2007

Ricotta Buns

I'm invited to dinner tonight and as always - its a pot luck. I always try to bring something new that I haven't made before. Since the weather is so beautiful I really didn't want to spend my afternoon in the kitchen so i decided to try the Ricotta Buns - "Shablulei Ricotta Ve'zeitim"
from Tofifi & Husband at Catering Pecan. Of-course I didn't have any olivesand definately did not want to go back to the market on a Friday... so I decided on using the dried tomatoes spread my neighbor gave to me (thanks nice neighbor) and I have basil growing on my window-sill which smells like an exotic perfume and this is the wonderful result....
Ingredients
1 TBS. fast acting yeast
3/4 cup warm water
1 TBS. sugar
mix together and set aside for 10 minutes.

Knead together into a ball:

500 grams all purpose flour
1 large egg
50 grams melted butter
1 TBS salt
1/2 cup warm milk
yeast mix

Set aside. Cover with towel and let rise till doubles in size.













Punch dough to let out air.
Roll out to a 1/2 centimeter thick rectangle.

Spread filling made of: 250 grams ricotta cheese, 3 heaps of sundried tomatoe spread (pesto will work too) and grated parmesan. Any hard aromatic cheese can work - whatever you like. I cut up a few basil leaves and added those too

Ricotta, tomato spread and Parmesan
does look kinda gross



Roll the dough as shown and slice into approx. 1 centimeter rolls. Place on cookie sheet with parchment paper. Cover and let double in size.

I soooo love this picture


Bake at 150 C for approx. 20 minutes till golden.

All done and ready to go


I can tell you this - it smell wonderful...

Now I am off to making Challa - the Sabbath Bread

No comments: