Cooking with Love

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Cookies & Kisses



I have had my eye on this recipe since the day I got this wonderful cookbook "Chocolate". Just the name of the book causes my blood to turn brown and my sugar level decreases ( just so it can increase with some chocolate intake).
But for some reason I have never really had the time. I am definately not the meringue type person. I even dislike meringue. So what better time to make these cookies than when on a diet?? And to be specific - the South Beach one...Ha I have noted that since on this diet I have turned into a type of masochist - since I have baking endleslly. Making all these wonderful sweet recipes that I wouldn't dare make on a regular day. Now I feel that NO is NO and not maybe or later...and that I am strong at sticking my tongue out at these sweets and not crumble down and indulge....ahhhhhhh strength....such power...

So here is the recipe (and mind you - my wonderful 14 year old daughter and her girlfriends finished them off even before they cooled, luckily I saved a box for a friend at work who also finished them off before getting back to her office)

Chocolate Cookies with a Kiss
Adapted from the Chocolate Cookbook

Ingredients (for approx. 100-120 bite size cookies)
120 grams cold butter
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 cup + 1 TBS. (50 grams) powdered sugar
1 large egg yolk
1 cup (150 grams) all purpose flour
2 TBS cocoa

Meringue kisses:
3 large egg whites
1/2 cup + 2 TBS sugar (120 grams)
1 cup (120 grams) powdered sugar


Cookies:
  • Pulse all cookie ingredients in food processor until a ball forms. Cover dough with saran wrap and refrigerate approx. an hour or in freezer for 20 minutes.
  • With rolling pin on floured surface roll to a 1/2 centimeter thickness. With small cookie cutter (i used my vodka shot glasses) cut cookies and place on cookie sheet.
  • Bake at 180 C (350F) for 7-10 minutes, the cookies should NOT be fully baked.

    Meringues:
  • Lower the heat to 130 C.
  • With electric mixer on high beat egg whites till white peaks occur. Gradually add the sugar.
  • Fold in the regular sugar gently.
  • Put meringue in a decorating bag and squeeze onto half baked cookies.**
  • Bake for 20 more minutes until meringues are dry
  • Cool completelyand store in airtight container.

** This is where I altered...I made the meringue kisses seperatley and completely baked the cookies. When both cookies and kisses were cooled completely - I "glued" them with Nutella. I tried Dulce de leche - but that didn't work very well. I assume a thick ganache will work great too.

No comments: