There is a great coffee cake that I just love. Its moist and has all those homey flavour and aromas. And its really easy to make. And even better - I had all (well almost all) the ingredients.
And it smells sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good!!
Comforting Coffee Cake
(adapted from Gil Hovav)
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 TBS. Vanilla
1/3 cup strong coffee (espresso is best)
200 grams butter (room temp)
4 TBS. Brandy or Cognac
1 cup sour cream
2 1/2 cups self rising flour
1/2 cup halva, chopped (can use more if you like - I do!)
mix of: 2 TBS. sugar, 2 TBS. cocoa, 1 TBS. coffee (not crystals) pinch cardomom, pinch cinnamon (I used nutmeg as I was out of cardomom)
Preheat oven to 175 degrees and butter a bundt pan.
- In electric mixer beat butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and continue beating.
- Add vanilla.
- Add sour cream
- Add brandy
- Mix in the flour.
- In seperate bowl mix sugar, cocoa and spices.
- Pour half the batter in the bundt pan. Sprinke half the spice mix and halva pieces.
- Pour rest of the batter and cover with remaining halva and spice mixture.
- Bake in over approx. 35 minutes - until toothpick comes out dry.
- Cool and yummy!!!
You will love this cake all year round.